Saturday 16 May 2020

Reaffirming my MIT 2020 Challenge

Reflecting back to the challenge statement (v2) from March - to provide a 'one-stop' shot for students, teachers and whanau to access a toolkit for self-management and staying connected that is based on Te Whare Tapa Wha - the Taha Challenge site was my attempt to meet this brief. 

I was not convinced that this tool completely hit the mark in terms of connecting students in a meaningful way so I decided to park my first prototype and explore other possibilities.

One suggestion was the PATH (Planning Alternative Tomorrows with Hope), programme brought from Canada to Aotearoa/NZ by  Katarina Pipi  over a decade ago. The idea is to tap into the dreams and aspirations of a person or organisation and with the help of a faciliator, create a plan of what they will need to do to/overcome to achieve their goal/s. Pipi has used PATH successfully with youth, whanau, hapu and iwi throughout the country.

 

I also came across the Te Rito Toi project, set up to support teachers to work with children when they first return to school following major traumatic or life changing events such as the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquakes but has since been used following the Christchurch mosque attacks and more recently COVID 19. This initiative inspired me to support students to build stronger connections between them and their whanau  (both immediate and extended) to record family stories/histories/events of importance to them.

In the end - I felt I was going off in too many tangents and I desperately needed to refocus! 

I am convinced the way forward to successful transition to high school is to figure out how to best support our intermediate students to manage themselves. With this in mind,  I found my way back to my original (pre-COVID) challenge statement!

Year 8 students need self-management skills to confidently manage the transition from the primary to secondary school learning environment.

The next iteration of my design project is to find a tool that will support Year 8 students to develop their personal capacity to manage themselves independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment